Fall 2014 Open House & Train Show
Our new Fall Open House & Train Show will be taking place September 20th & 21st, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm on Saturday and 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm on Sunday. Our indoor HO Scale Display and our outside G&O Gauge Garden Railway Display will both be fully operational, weather permitting. Like our Summer show, we’ll have a great bake sale with homemade goodies, a raffle with terrific prizes, and our souvenir Engineer photos for kids will be back too! Download our new flyer & help us promote the show.
Plan accordingly – this event is fun for the whole family, whether they’re train fans or local history buffs. We are still trying to raise more money to repaint our 116-year-old Southern Pacific Depot, so here’s the rundown:
OpsCom is Back
The Operations Committee is back up & running! Ops sessions are tentatively scheduled for the last Tuesday of every month. Contact Operations chair Eugene Brichacek for more information.
Weekly Open Hours
Visitors are always welcome to come in and see us during our weekly open hours. We’re open Tuesday nights from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM and Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM.
The San Leandro Historical Railway Society (SLHRS) is housed in the San Leandro depot which was built in 1898 by the Southern Pacific Railroad to replace the original depot built by the Central Pacific Railroad in 1865. The depot was officially opened in June of 1898. It was instrumental in the agricultural and industrial growth of San Leandro and the surrounding area. Examples of this are the San Leandro Plow Company and the Daniel Best Manufacturing Company which evolved into the Caterpillar Tractor Company and the cherry orchards which are celebrated by San Leandro’s Cherry Festival for over 100 years in June.
The depot was in use as a passenger facility until the Second World War, when the passenger agency was closed down as a “non-essential service.” The depot was downgraded and used as a break facility for switch crews working the San Leandro area.
The depot was sold to the Society (for $1.00) in 1988. On December 11, 1988, the building was moved to its current site and work was begun on its restoration. In June, 1989, the museum and depot were officially reopened to the public. At that time the building was also designated a San Leandro Historical Site and has a bronze plate affixed to the front of the building.
We now have a SLHRS Logo Shop! All proceeds will go towards the General Operating Fund of the Society! You can also donate specifically to the fund to Repaint the Depot by contacting our treasurer Pat Stratton directly! For those who would like to contribute to the San Leandro Historical Railway Society (SLHRS) and choose not to participate in the Society, there are Contributing Sponsorships available for as little as $15 per year.
Please feel free to join our cause on Facebook & Donate via the Causes application!
The San Leandro Historical Railway Society is a 501 (c)(3) Non-Profit Corporation. Receipts for your donation can be provided upon request. Contact Us to learn how you can donate.